Claire H. Taylor
Associate | Seattle
Claire represents businesses and individuals in a range of financial matters.
She assists creditors and businesses with protecting and enforcing their rights in bankruptcy, enforcing promissory notes and guarantees, foreclosures, receiverships, workout negotiations and restructurings, and other business litigation. Claire also represents physicians in a variety of business matters.
Leveraging her background as a litigator with the U.S. Department of Justice Tax Division, Claire also advocates for clients in audits and appeals, assists clients with issues involving federal tax liens, and resolves other tax controversies for her clients, in addition to advising clients on a wide range of tax matters.
- Washington, 2014
- Wisconsin, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, 2010
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review (2010)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, M.S., Sociology (2006)
- Middlebury College, B.A., Sociology, cum laude (2001)
Recognition & Honors
- Rising Stars, Washington Super Lawyers (2017 - 2018)
Publications & Presentations
- "Deductibility and Information Reporting of Restitution Payments: Transitional Guidance Issued," co-author, ALI CLE’s The Practical Lawyer (November 2018)
- "Examining Financials, Tax Considerations in Divorce, and Division & Valuation of Assets in Divorce," presenter, NBI Divorce Seminar (July 2018)
- "Penalty Abatement for International Information Returns," presenter, Washington Society of CPAs (May 2018)
- "Captive Transaction Disclosures Remain for Now: Federal Court Rejects Last-Minute Injunction Request and Affirms Anti-Injunction Act Applies to Penalties," co-author, ABA Tax Times (June 2017)
- "Employment Tax Audits Panel," presenter, American Bar Association Tax Section (2017)
- "BBA Partnership Audit Rules Replace TEFRA," presenter, Washington State Bar Association Tax Section (2016)
- "Not Dead Yet: Reviving Time-Barred Income Tax Refund Claims," presenter, University of Washington Federal Tax Clinic CLE, 2016
- "U.S. District Judge Rejects Tax Promoters’ Plea Agreement in United States v. Crithfield: A Rare Event, but a Warning to Defense Counsel," co-author, ABA Tax Times (June 2017)
- "BBA Partnership Audit Rules Replace TEFRA," presenter, Washington Women in Tax (2016)
- "Owe the IRS? Passports at Risk Under New Code Sec. 7345," co-author, Journal of Tax Practice and Procedure (Feb. 2016)
- "Federal Tax Updates," Seminar Group (2016)
Background & Interests
During law school, Claire served as a judicial extern for Hon. Barbara B. Crabb of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin.
In her spare time, Claire loves being outside, from skiing and hiking in the nearby mountains, to camping and adventuring to new places, all with her husband and daughter.
Professional & Community Activities
- Professional & Community Activities:
- Washington Women in Tax, Vice-President (2018 - Present)
- Washington State Bar Association Tax Section Executive Committee, IRS Liaison (2016 - Present)
- American Bar Association Tax Section, Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties Subcommittee Co-Chair (2017 - Present)
- Forest Stewardship Council, Advisory Board (2017 - Present) U.W. Federal Tax Clinic, Volunteer Attorney for Low-Income Taxpayers