Alison J. Warden
Shareholder | Seattle
Alison is an experienced trust and estate attorney who focuses her practice in trust and estate litigation. With a legal career spanning over 20 years and a background in tax, Alison brings a unique perspective to her practice that enables her to navigate the complexities that arise in matters where personal and financial issues are deeply intertwined.
Alison is known for her strategic, compassionate advocacy, and she has successfully represented clients in a wide range of trust and estate disputes, including will contests, breach of fiduciary duty claims, financial exploitation, and other matters brought under the Trust and Estate Dispute Resolution Act (TEDRA) and the Vulnerable Adult Protection Act. Her dedicated approach to her client’s needs is matched by her fierce representation in court, ensuring that her client’s interests are fully protected. Alison also appreciates the value of avoiding litigation where appropriate. A key component of her practice is to advise and represent clients who seek alternatives to litigation, such as mediation, and she strives to find creative solutions to help her clients achieve their goals while minimizing the emotional and financial toll of the legal process.
Alison received her Juris Doctorate degree in 2002 from American University, where she graduated magna cum laude. After spending the first decade of her legal career practicing criminal defense at Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons in Seattle, Washington, she earned her LL.M. in taxation from the University of Washington School of Law. Since 2013, Alison has focused her work solely in the area of trusts and estates.
Outside of her legal practice, Alison is an active member of the Seattle community. She is a past president and past board member of the QLAW Association and is a contributing editor to the Real Property Probate and Trust Newsletter published by WSBA. She also speaks regularly on trust and estate topics at legal conferences and continuing legal education seminars.
Alison was born and raised in Oklahoma and is proud to be an enrolled member of the Osage Nation.
- Washington, 2002
- U.S. Tax Court, 2013
- University of Washington School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2013
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 2002, magna cum laude
- Oklahoma State University, B.A., 1999
Recognition & Honors
- Washington Super Lawyers (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America for Trusts and Estates (2024)
Publications & Presentations
- “Fighting Financial Exploitation: Criminal and Civil Tools and Strategies,” co-presenter with Page Ulrey, King County Senior Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, Washington State Bar Association 20th Annual Trust & Estate Litigation CLE (April 28, 2023)
- “The Intersection of Decedent’s Estates and Consumer Law,” panelist, National Consumer Law Center Annual Conference (November 2022)
- “The latest death care option is also the greenest,” author, article in the Puget Sound Business Journal (March 2021)
- “Tortious Interference with an Expected Inheritance: Should Washington Resort to the Tort?” co-author with Saul Tilden, WSBA Real Property, Probate & Trust Section newsletter (Summer 2020)
- “Estate Planning in the Time of COVID-19,” co-author, blog post, Stokes Law Brief (March 2020)
- WSBA Tax Section's Annual Conference, chair (June 2019)
- "To Lie Down in Greener Pastures: Washington State's Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Traditional Burial," author, blog post, Stokes Law Briefs (May 2019)
- "What Washington Snowbirds Should Know About Taxes," co-author with Jenna Ichikawa, blog post, Stokes Law Briefs (March 2019)
- "Drafting Wills for Families," panelist, Personal Estate Planning for the 99%, King County Bar Association CLE (April 2018)
- "Tax Impacts of Divorce," presenter, Eastside Legal Assistance Project CE Series (August 2015)
- "Self-Directed IRAs and Other Interesting Retirement Plan Developments," presenter, University of Washington Federal Tax Clinic Annual CLE (September 2014)
- "Tax Issues Faced by Same-Sex Couples After Windsor Decision," presenter, University of Washington Federal Tax Clinic Annual CLE (August 2013)
- "Estate Planning Disasters of the Rich and Famous," guest speaker, Business Law Class, Charter College (July 2013)
Professional & Community Activities
- Co-Chair, Washington State Bar Association 20th Annual Trust & Estate Litigation CLE (April 28, 2023)
- Co-Chair, Washington State Bar Association 19th Annual Trust & Estate Litigation CLE (April 22, 2022)
- Newsletter Editorial Board Member, Washington State Bar Association Real Property Probate and Trust Section
- Past Member, WSBA Tax Section Executive Council, CLE Committee Chair
- Past Member, Board of Directors, QLaw Association of Washington
- Past-President, Board of Directors, QLaw Association of Washington (LGBTQ Bar Association)
- Member, WSBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Member, Northwest Indian Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association Real Property, Property and Trust Law Section
Background & Interests
In her free time, Alison enjoys listening to news commentaries, cheering on her spouse in triathlons, and doting on her five nephews.