We appreciate the beliefs, opinions, orientations and ethnicity of all people.
At Stokes Lawrence, we're proud of our congenial relationships and the respect our employees show to each other. Maintaining an atmosphere of openness and tolerance is fundamental to our culture.
We embrace the diverse backgrounds of all our employees. Each individual's unique perspective is a valued contribution toward our common goal of providing clients with exceptional service. As part of our commitment to promoting diversity within our firm, we have a standing Diversity & Inclusion Committee with both lawyers and staff serving as members. The committee spearheads many of our formal diversity initiatives, which are designed to promote the hiring and retention of diverse employees to better reflect our broader community and to foster an atmosphere of inclusiveness. In addition to encouraging diverse applicants to apply for open positions, we ask the Minority Bar Associations to circulate notice of any attorney job openings to their memberships.
Our commitment to diversity is reflected in the demographics of our firm:
- 54% of our lawyers are women
- 48% of our shareholders are women, including our managing shareholder
- 13% of our lawyers are racially or ethnically diverse
Commitment to the Future
To encourage diversity in the legal profession, we support several initiatives that offer access to education to diverse students.
Each year, we award scholarships to a first-year diverse law student at the University of Washington, Seattle University and Gonzaga University.
Minority Bar Associations
Several of our attorneys are active in the Washington State Bar Association Committee for Diversity, including serving as past co-chair of the committee. Our attorneys are also active in various minority bar associations in Washington, including:
- Latina/o Bar Association of Washington
- Loren Miller Bar Association
- Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association (we have provided pro bono legal services and have served as volunteer panel speakers)
- Washington Women Lawyers
- Washington State Bar Association Diversity Committee
- Hispanic National Bar Association
Advocating for Diversity
Our attorneys generously give of their time on community service and pro bono activities that benefit diverse communities.
- We partnered with several organizations in efforts to advance the property and domestic partnership rights of LGBTQ individuals, as well as the fight for marriage rights.
- Several Stokes Lawrence attorneys have partnered with the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project to work with unaccompanied minors and young families from Mexico and Central America who have crossed the border seeking asylum.
- Several of our employees serve as volunteers in neighborhood legal clinics, providing much-needed support to vulnerable individuals who would not otherwise have access to legal services.