Theresa H. Wang
Shareholder | Seattle
Theresa helps businesses protect their most important assets -- the intellectual property that distinguishes them and sets them apart from the competition. She represents companies at all stages of dispute resolution, including consultations and negotiations prior to filing suit, all the way through trial. Theresa has appeared on behalf of clients in numerous state and federal courts all over the United States as lead or co-counsel, handling matters involving copyright, trademark, and software licensing and protection. Theresa also assists clients in navigating the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board, and handles other complex commercial litigation and business disputes. She has been named a Rising Star by Washington Super Lawyers from 2012-2017, and was recognized as an Acritas Star Lawyer. Theresa is also a frequent speaker on intellectual property and other litigation issues.
- Washington (2007)
- U.S. District Courts for the Western (2008) and Eastern (2010) Districts of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington (2009)
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., Study of Religion, and Chinese Studies (2004)
Recognition & Honors
- Acritas Star Lawyer (2017 - 2018)
- Litigation Counsel of America, Associate Fellow (2016 - 2018)
- Washington Leadership Institute Fellow (2014)
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers (2012 - 2017)
- Represent international software companies in license and copyright enforcement actions in over a dozen federal and state courts, as lead or co-counsel.
- Represent businesses in contested proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Advise businesses regarding trademark prosecution, copyright protections and other intellectual property issues.
Representative Intellectual Property Litigation
- Fidelity National Financial, Inc. v. Attachmate Corporation (M.D. Fla. 2017). Represented software company alleging copyright infringement and breach of contract claims before the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Claims resolved through settlement.
- Belen Jesuit Preparatory School v. Sportswear (S.D. Fla. 2016). Represented online clothing retailer defending against claims of trademark infringement and unfair competition before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Obtained judgment in favor of client on all claims following a bench trial.
- Medical College of Wisconsin v. Attachmate Corporation (E.D. Wis. 2015). Represented software company alleging copyright infringement and breach of contract claims before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Claims resolved through settlement.
- MOD Super Fast Pizza, LLC v. Carl Chang et al. (W.D. Wa. 2014). Represented fast-casual restaurant owners alleging trade dress infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract claims before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Claims resolved through settlement.
Publications & Presentations
- "Admissibility of E-mail and Internet Evidence," presenter, Lorman Education Services CLE (October 2016)
- "Protection of Product Shapes," presenter, IP Essentials for the Business Lawyer: Know Enough Not to be Dangerous, CLE presented by the WSBA (September 2016)
- "Myriad Genetics and the Work of Barbara Brenner," and a reading from So Much To Be Done, speaker, presentation co-sponsored by the ACLU of Washington (June 2016)
- "Lighten Up, It’s Just Fashion: Intellectual Property Rights in Apparel and Accessories," speaker, King County Bar Association CLE (December 2015)
- "Representing Your Client in Federal Court," speaker, National Business Institute seminar (October 2015)
- "Mastering the Deposition: A Critical Skills Program," speaker, CLE presented by Pincus Professional Education (September 2014; June 2016)
- Roundtable on World Portfolio Management, presented by the International Trademark Association, co-host with Leslie Ruiter (June 2013)
- "Trading the People's Homes for the People's Olympics: The Property Regime in China," 15 PAC. RIM L. & POL'Y J. 599 (2006)
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Joint Asian Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Member, ACLU of Washington Board of Directors
- Member, ACLU of Washington Legal Committee
- Member, Seattle Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Past Chair, Intellectual Property Section, King County Bar Association
- Young Rotarian Leader, Rotary Club of Seattle
- Member, Washington State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Member, Asian Bar Association of Washington
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Theresa has also cooperated with the ACLU of Washington on matters involving First Amendment rights
Background & Interests
Prior to joining the firm, Theresa clerked for the Hon. Judge J. Robin Hunt of the Washington State Court of Appeals. During law school, she served as an extern to the Hon. Judge David Armstrong of the Washington State Court of Appeals, and as an intern to the Judiciary Committee of the Washington State Senate Committee Services. Theresa is fluent in conversational Mandarin.