Sean K. Griffee
Shareholder | Seattle
Sean Griffee helps business owners grow their companies and real estate investors and developers execute their plans.
His corporate practice covers the entire lifespan of a company – from entity formation, through operation and management, and ultimately sale, merger or other disposition of the business.
Sean’s commercial real estate practice centers on financing, development, and sale of projects throughout the Northwest including multifamily, industrial, office, and retail properties.
He also works closely with the firm's estate planners on tax planning and business succession strategies for families with significant business and real estate interests.
- Washington (2002)
- Oregon (2007)
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D. (2002)
- University of Washington, B.A. in History, Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude (1999)
Recognition & Honors
- Represented corporate clients in mergers and acquisitions in a variety of industries including manufacturing, retail and professional services.
- As co-counsel for large estate with significant business interests, helped resolve valuation dispute with the IRS and completed stock redemption and administration plan.
- Represented local developer groups in financing, acquisition, and development of several multi-family and mixed use projects in the Seattle area.
- Drafted loan and security agreements for national bank in private banking transactions.
- Negotiated and drafted dozens of commercial leases for industrial, office and retail uses.
Publications & Presentations
- "Real Estate Family LLCs," co-presenter, WSBA Real Property, Probate & Trust Mid-Year Conference (June 2017)
- "Drafting and Practice Considerations - Preparing Purchase and Sale Agreements and Deeds," presenter, National Business Institute seminar (July 2015)
- "Avoiding Personal Liability for Business Owners and Managers: Claims By Owners," (video) presenter/author, Stokes Law Briefs (May 2015)
- "Avoiding Personal Liability: Advice for Owners and Managers of Privately Held Businesses," Co-presenter with Brad Axel, Shannon Jost and Aviva Kamm, Stokes Law Brief (October & November 2014)
- "Purchase & Sale Transaction Forms for the Commercial Real Estate Practitioner," Co-presenter with Mike Garner, Commercial Brokers Association (September 2014)
- "How Bankruptcy Affects the Lease," Presenter, Commercial Leases: Negotiating Key Provisions, National Business Institute CLE (June 2014)
- "Preparing for Business Succession," Panel Discussion (March 2014)
- "Succession Planning for Owners of Closely Held Businesses," Panel Presenter, Washington State Bar Association RPPT Fall Probate and Trust Seminar (December 2013)
- "Competition Strategies," Presenter, Business Contracts A to Z, National Business Institute CLE (July 2012)
- Contributing Author, Washington Real Property Deskbook (4th Ed.)
- “Corporate Governance," Presenter, Stokes Law Briefs for Closely Held Businesses (June 2011)
Professional & Community Activities
- Certified Real Estate Instructor (Washington State Department of Licensing)
- Downtown Seattle Association
Background & Interests
In his free time, Sean enjoys skiing and running. He has completed several half marathons and recently completed his second full marathon.