Olivia E. Gonzalez
Shareholder | Seattle
With a focus on mergers and acquisitions, Olivia Gonzalez is an experienced transactional attorney who represents buyers and sellers in a variety of industries ranging from agribusiness, manufacturing, engineering and construction, wholesale distribution, and medical.
As part of her corporate practice, Olivia routinely advises privately held, regional businesses and their owners on all aspects of the business life cycle including choice of entity, formation, structure, and governance; negotiation and preparation of key corporate documents such as shareholder agreements, buy-sells, joint ventures, operating agreements; purchase and sale transactions (asset, membership interest, and stock transfers), and exit strategies and succession planning.
Clients turn to Olivia for her genuine and thoughtful advocacy during the negotiation and closing process, as well as her ability to offer practical solutions that meet client objectives in a cost-effective manner.
Prior to focusing her practice on corporate transactions, Olivia was a member of the firm’s Litigation practice. She now uses her experience in commercial litigation to help clients avoid legal pitfalls and traps when structuring and papering their business deals.
- Washington, 2009
- University of Southern California School of Law, J.D. (2008)
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A. in Government and Spanish (2005)
Recognition & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America Ones to Watch in Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law; Real Estate Law (2021)
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers (2019)
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, "Key Issues in Multi-Member LLC Operating Agreements," Stokes Lawrence Presents Webinar Series (June 2022)
- Presenter, "Key Business Considerations in Purchase and Sale Transactions," Washington Women in Tax (October 2022)
- "Seattle Payroll Expense Tax Impacts Businesses With High-Income Employees," co-author with Capriel Stevenson, blog post, StokesLaw Briefs (February 2021)
- "Buying & Selling a Business Part 2: Letter of Intent," author, blog post, StokesLaw Briefs (January 2020)
- "Buying & Selling a Business Part 1: Asset Deals vs. Stock Deals - Factors to Consider," co-author with Sean Griffee, blog post, StokesLaw Briefs (December 2019)
- "Ethics in Business Law Transactions," co-presenter with Mike Garner, WSBA Business Law Section Mid-Year CLE (May 2016)
- "Does Your Business Comply With Washington's Newly Amended Data Breach Notification Law?" author, blog post, StokesLaw Briefs (June 2015)
- "Best Practices for Retaining Employee Records," author, blog post, StokesLaw Briefs (September 2014)
- "Recent Arbitration Law Developments - Washington State & Federal Law," Co-presenter with Mat Harrington, Stokes Lawrence Employment Law Institute CLE (August 2014)
- "Should You Include Arbitration Clauses in Employment Contracts?" Co-presenter with Mat Harrington, Stokes Lawrence Employment Law Institute Client Workshop (August 2014)
- "Record Retention Laws & Tips to Stay in Compliance," Presenter, Stokes Lawrence Employment Law Institute Client Workshop (August 2014)
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Member, Washington State Bar Young Lawyer's Division
- Member, Latina/o Bar Association of Washington
Background & Interests
After taking the bar exam in 2008, Olivia accepted a Fulbright Grant to Spain where she and fellow Fulbright Scholars established the first-ever Model United Nations curriculum throughout secondary schools in Northern Spain. Olivia enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and two children.