Respected as leaders in their fields, our Agriculture attorneys have many years of experience working with growers, ranchers, packers and distributors of agricultural products, as well as the service providers who support these businesses. We understand the unique business and legal issues faced by companies in this industry and offer practical advice to help clients resolve issues and achieve their goals.
We have extensive experience helping agriculture clients with all aspects of their businesses, including formation, real estate, employment, regulatory compliance, distribution and day-to-day operations. We also provide planning services, including business succession and estate planning. We have deep knowledge of the laws and regulations governing Washington agriculture businesses, including the Perishable Agriculture Commodities Act (PACA), H-2A visas, farm labor contractor issues and wage-and-hour issues.
Areas of focus include:
Business Operations. We assist clients with managing day-to-day operational issues as well as maintaining legal records, and negotiating and preparing agreements essential to their business success. Our experience includes developing and negotiating a variety of service agreements, including outsourcing technology, training, personnel and other services.
Employment Relations. We advise employers with respect to H-2A practices, employment agreements, employment policies, personnel counseling, hiring and termination, and labor relations. We provide training in all aspects of employment and employment-related immigration issues. When employment litigation is unavoidable, we serve as strong advocates for our clients and have a successful record of defending their interests.
Environmental Protection & Land Use. We assist clients with managing and operating their businesses in compliance with environmental and land use regulations. We advise and advocate for our clients in matters involving federal, state and local environmental and land use procedures and regulations.
Estate Planning. We work with clients and their financial advisors to create and implement business succession plans. We provide clients with estate planning services ranging from basic planning to creating complex trusts, intra-family gifts and wealth transfers, and charitable planned giving. We also help avoid and resolve family disputes involving trusts and estates.
Intellectual Property. We help agricultural clients protect, license and enforce their trademarks, patents, trade secrets, and other intellectual property. We have experience licensing patented plant varieties and litigating agriculture-related patent infringement matters.
Litigation. We represent both small land owners and larger commercial producers and packers in a variety of situations, including business disputes, labor and employment claims, insurance coverage issues, and marketing, patent litigation, class actions, EEOC and trade disputes.
Mergers & Acquisitions. We handle business mergers, acquisitions and sales of all sizes, whether sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or limited liability company.
Wine & Spirits Industries. We assist wineries and other producers of alcoholic beverages with labeling, licensing, sales and regulatory matters.
Real Estate. We represent clients in a variety of real estate transactions, including purchase and sale of agricultural properties and industrial sites. We advise clients on related service agreements, including site acquisition, and design and construction services.
- SLVMS Welcomes Cassandra Peña Thompson
- The Adverse Effect Wage Rate for H-2A Workers Increases Again in Washington
- Charissa Johnston Promoted to Shareholder
- Ellen Jackson, Sarah Wixson Named Volunteer Attorneys of the Year
- Paid Sick Leave: 9 Things Every Washington Employer Needs to Know (Including Agricultural Employers)
- Stokes Lawrence Named Best Law Firm for Sixth Consecutive Year
- 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named as Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Updates and Guidance on Recent Immigration Sweeps By ICE
- Sarah Wixson, Brendan Monahan to Speak at WAWGG 2017 Convention
- Updated DOL Overtime Rules on Hold
- What Do the New Paid Sick Leave and Minimum Wage Increase Mean for Your Business?
- Wine Grape Growers: Don't Lose Your Super-Priority Wine Producer Lien Status
- Bonuses May Increase Rest Break Pay for Farm Workers
- Erika Hartliep Joins Stokes Lawrence Velikanje Moore & Shore
- Sarah Wixson Clarifies Rules for Farm Labor Contractor in Good Fruit Grower
- Sarah Wixson Comments on Piece-Rate Pay Guidelines
- DOL Issues New Rules on Overtime Pay
- 12 Best Practices for Hiring H-2A Workers
- Supreme Court Redefines Who Constitutes a "Farm Labor Contractor" in Washington
- Sarah Wixson Quoted on Rest Breaks Ruling
- Stokes Lawrence Agriculture Practice Featured in Business Journal
- Do You Need a Farm Labor Contractor License?
- Should You Pay Workers for Travel Time?
- SLVMS Lawyers Quoted on Rest Break Decision
- Washington Supreme Court Rules Piece Rate Workers Entitled to Paid Rest Breaks
- Charissa Johnston Joins Stokes Lawrence Velikanje Moore & Shore
- EEOC Ordered to Pay Attorneys' Fees for Filing Baseless, Unreasonable, and Frivolous Lawsuit Against Stokes Lawrence Clients
- Brendan Monahan Quoted on Pending Piece-Rate Ruling