Brett T. MacIntyre
Associate | Seattle
Brett represents individuals and businesses in civil litigation matters, focusing on aviation law, product liability, insurance coverage, and business and commercial matters. Prior to going into private practice, Brett served two and a half years at the Washington State Attorney General’s Office. As an Assistant Attorney General, he represented the State of Washington in trial and appellate proceedings involving abused and neglected children.
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, Associate Editor, Seattle University Law Review (2013)
- Gonzaga University, B.A. in History, magna cum laude (2009)
Recognition & Honors
- Fredric C. Tausend Moot Court Competition, participant, Seattle University School of Law (2012)
- Year-End Achievement Scholarship Recipient, Seattle University School of Law (2011 - 2012)
- CALI Awards for Highest Grade in Class: Contracts, Torts, Administrative Law, Criminal Procedure Investigative, Advanced Evidence, Legal Writing I, and Legal Writing II, Seattle University School of Law
- Defended multiple commercial airlines in litigation involving discrimination claims, in-flight injuries, and injuries to ground personnel.
- Defended vehicle manufacturer in product liability claim.
- Represented individual in multi-party breach of contract lawsuit involving a high-value financial services agreement.
- Defeated motion to add federal civil-rights claim to a premises-liability lawsuit against the owner of a shopping mall.
- Defended multiple municipalities in personal-injury claims.
- Represented homeowners’ association in action against property insurer and insurance agent for insurance coverage relating to fire loss.
Publications & Presentations
- "A Beginner's Guide to Untangling Insurance Acronyms," author, KCBA Bar Bulletin (February 2019)
- "When the Classroom Is Not in the Schoolhouse: Applying Tinker to Student Speech at Online Schools," author, Comment, 36 Seattle University Law Review 1503 (2013)
Professional & Community Activities
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- High School and Junior College Basketball Referee (2009 - present)
- Referee Association Board Member (2013 – 2016)
- Street Youth Legal Advocates of Washington (SYLAW), Volunteer (2010 - 2011)
Background & Interests
Prior to joining Stokes Lawrence, Brett was an associate with Mills Meyers Swartling. In law school, he worked as an Associate Editor for the Seattle University Law Review and a teaching assistant for first-year contracts students. He previously externed for the Hon. Ronald B. Leighton of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. When not at work, Brett enjoys hiking, traveling, and refereeing high school and college basketball.