Sean A. Russel
Shareholder | Yakima
Sean is a commercial litigator who represents privately held companies and their owners.
He assists clients in matters arising from the production of agricultural crops, the use and ownership of real property, and shareholder disagreements. He also represents individuals in disputes involving trust and estate administration.
Sean currently serves on the firm's Executive Committee.
- Washington, 2004
- U.S. District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington (2010)
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D. (2003)
- University of Oregon, B.S., Psychology (1995)
Recognition & Honors
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers (2012 - 2014)
- Represented legal entities as well as individual officers, members and shareholders in minority oppression and corporate dissolution cases.
- Representative businesses include fruit packing and sales operations, property development entities, and manufacturing and sales companies.
- Successfully removed a personal representative on behalf of estate beneficiaries.
- Successfully defeated claims against personal representative/beneficiary in a will contest.
- Successfully negotiated favorable settlement for a beneficiary in highly contested will contest.
- Obtained favorable arbitration award defending general contractor against subcontractor's non-payment claim.
- Obtained favorable result litigating lien foreclosure claim on behalf of general contractor against property owner and tenant.
- Obtained favorable arbitration award for homeowner based on claims against general contractor for defective construction.
Publications & Presentations
- "Case Law Updates," presenter, WSBA Trust and Estate Litigation CLE (May 2019)
- "Who Is the Fiduciary?" presenter, Estate Planning: A How-To Guide, National Business Institute (December 2017)
- "TEDRA in Washington — Multi-County Review of Procedures," presenter, A Statewide Perspective on Trust and Estate Litigation: The Bench and the Experts Weigh In, WSBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section (April 2017)
- "Trust and Estate Disputes – TEDRA," presenter, Fall Probate and Trust Seminar: Updates, Planning, and Disputes, WSBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section (December 2016)
- "Where to Begin? - An Overview of Trusts," presenter, Trusts 101, National Business Institute CLE (August 2015)
- "The Duties of a Fiduciary in Washington State - Pitfalls and Practice Pointers," presenter, Guidance From the Bench: The 12th Annual Trust & Estate Litigation Seminar (April 2015)
- "Determining if Spouse's Elective Share Is a Reasonable Option," presenter, The Probate Process From Start to Finish, National Business Institute CLE (July 2014)
- "Litigating the Case in Probate Court," presenter, The Probate Process From Start to Finish, National Business Institute CLE (July 2014)
- "Wage and Hour Issues in Agriculture" and "Farm Labor Contractor Law Issues," co-presenter with Brendan Monahan and Sarah Wixson, Washington Grower's League Annual Meeting (January 2014)
- "An Introduction to Fiduciary Duties," co-presenter with Jenna Ichikawa, presented by Yakima County Bar Association (April 2013)
- "Washington's Stop Notice: An Effective Hammer in the Contractor's Tool Chest When Progress Payments are Delinquent," author, Associated General Contractors Cornerstone magazine (2008)
- "Good Documentation Practice and Maintaining Customer Relations," panelist, Associated General Contractors of Washington, Bellingham (2008)
- "Requirements for Filing Lien and Bond Claims in Washington," panelist, Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington, Bellevue (2008)
- "Lien and Bond Issues," panelist, Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington, Everett (2008)
Professional & Community Activities
- Board Member, The Seasons Performance Hall
- Board Member, Fresh Hop Group
Background & Interests
Before joining the firm, Sean worked as a litigator with the Seattle law firms of Ahlers & Cressman PLLC and Todd & Wakefield, PS. Before law school, Sean operated a family-owned business in Bellevue, Washington.