Maricarmen C. Perez-Vargas
Maricarmen assists both employer and employee clients with advice on federal and Washington employment law issues including discrimination, wrongful termination, noncompetition and nonsolicitation agreements, leave, and accommodations. She provides thoughtful advice and counsel to clients to avoid litigation, but when her clients are compelled to litigate, Maricarmen has the skills and proven record that results in favorable litigation outcomes for her clients.
Maricarmen also has a general litigation practice, through which she advises client on issues such as contract, tort, and appellate litigation.
Maricarmen conducts investigations on discrimination, harassment, bribery, corruption, fraud, and conflicts of interest. She successfully represents clients in administrative hearings, such as before the Public Employment Relations Commission.
Maricarmen also has an active pro bono practice, representing a client in an asylum hearing with a favorable outcome and advising nonprofit organizations on employment matters.
- Washington, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, 2021
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, Associate Editor-in-Chief, Washington Law Review (2018)
- Arizona State University (Honors College), B.S., Justice Studies, minor in French, Socio-Legal Certificate, magna cum laude (2015)
Recognition & Honors
- Pro Bono Public Honor Roll Member
- Hazelton Fellow
- Gregoire Fellow
- CALI Awards: Persuasive Writing, Pretrial Practice, and Professional Responsibility
ExperienceExtern for the Hon. James L. Robart of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington (2017)
- Successfully limited claims against clients from eight to three claims by moving to dismiss a case early in litigation in Washington State Court.
- Assisted a client in managing an employee's performance which resulted in an amicable separation of employment rather than a termination.
- Counseled various clients regarding risks associated with termination and discipline.
- Successfully negotiated severance on behalf of a client whose employment was terminated.
Professional & Community Activities
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Region XVI YLD representative (2018 - 2019)
- Volunteer high school Street Law teacher (2018)
Publications & Presentations
- "Governor Inslee Announces Mask Rule Changes Taking Effect March 12," StokesLaw Brief, co-author (March 10, 2022)
- 2021 Stokes Lawrence Employment Law Update, Fair Labor Standards Act and Minimum Wage Act Exemption Refresher
- Washington State Tree Fruit Association Annual Meeting, Washington Farm Labor Contractor Update (2021)
- Comment, An Uncommon Carrier: the FCC’s Unintended Effects on Constitutional Use Taxation, 92 Wash. L. Rev. 1571 (2017)
Background & Interests
Prior to joining the firm, Maricarmen was an associate with the Labor & Employment practice at K&L Gates. She has a native proficiency in Spanish and is proficient in French. In her free time, she enjoys reading, hiking, snow shoeing, and exploring Seattle’s food scene.