Trust & Estate Litigation
The transfer of wealth that occurs with the loss of a loved one can be a difficult transition. This is especially true when there are disputes over the decedent’s estate planning, finances or the succession of a business.
Our Trust & Estate Litigation group facilitates the successful resolution of complex trust and estate disputes.
Trust and estate disputes often involve a combination of business litigation, real estate transactions, and trust and estate law. Our lawyers have deep business litigation experience, coupled with an understanding of real estate and trust and estate law. In fact, several of our lawyers have authored chapters in the Washington Probate and Washington Real Property deskbooks. This combination is rare among general litigators and provides value to clients who need an advocate who understands this complex area of law. In addition, many of our Trust & Estate Litigation lawyers have been recognized by their peers as outstanding lawyers.
Our trust and estate litigators also work closely with our Estate Planning attorneys. Like our trust and estate litigators, our Estate Planning attorneys are regularly recognized by their peers as being at the top of their practice specialty. The Stokes Lawrence Estate Planning practice as a whole received top-tier “Best Law Firm” rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers. Having sophisticated and experienced estate planning colleagues in the offices next door provides a tremendous advantage when navigating complex disputes on behalf of our clients.
Because of their experience, our attorneys are able to quickly assess the strengths and weaknesses of each case and advise on the best approach, including avoiding conflict and preventing lawsuits. By focusing on what’s best for our clients, we can often facilitate cost-effective resolutions, conserving our clients’ financial resources and reducing the emotional toll of their disputes.
Diverse and Unique Clients
We represent a broad range of clients, including individuals who have lost a family member and are facing complexities in transferring wealth, personal representatives, estate beneficiaries, trustees and high net worth beneficiaries. Some of our clients are professional fiduciaries, who appreciate the level of sophistication we bring when dealing with beneficiaries.
Because of the wide range of clients we serve, we do not offer a one-size-fits all solution. Instead, we take a nuanced approach in resolving conflict, whether directly with the fiduciary or between the beneficiaries.
- Best Lawyers Lists Stokes Lawrence Attorneys on Its 2020 Guide
- Super Lawyers Recognizes 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys
- Life's a Breach, and So You Litigate
- Estate Litigation After Rathbone
- Stokes Lawrence Again Named Best Law Firm for Seventh Year
- 15 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers List
- Stokes Lawrence Named to 2018 Washington's Best Workplaces
- 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to 2018 Super Lawyers Lists
- Stokes Lawrence Again Recognized as a Best Firm for Female Attorneys
- Karolyn Hicks Named ACTEC Fellow
- WSBA Practice Primer: Estate Planning
- The Miracle of TEDRA
- Stokes Lawrence Estate Planning Practice, Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in Their Field
- 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named as Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Stokes Lawrence Named to 2017 Best Law Firms List
- 11 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers List
- Civil Action or TEDRA: Know the Process for Filing Suit in Creditor's Claim
- Filing Creditor's Claims 101: Basic Steps for Collecting Debt Owed by an Estate
- Trusts 101
- Nuts & Bolts of TEDRA
- 9 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named as 2016 Best Lawyers in America
- Stokes Lawrence Forms Mediation & Arbitration Practice Group
- For Second Year, Nearly Half of Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Washington Probate and Trust Law Update
- The Internet and ADA: How to Make Your Website More Accessible
- Stokes Lawrence Promotes Kamm to Shareholder
- Stokes Lawrence Partners With Northwest Immigrant Rights Project to Aid Child Immigrants
- Stokes Lawrence Named Best Law Firm for Third Consecutive Year
- Avoiding Personal Liability: Advice for Owners and Managers of Privately Held Businesses
- Top 10 Ways to Reduce Family Controversy in Trusts and Estates
- Court of Appeals Sets Record Straight on Fiduciaries' Role and the Scope of TEDRA
- Filing an Estate in Probate Court
- Determining if Spouse's Elective Share is a Reasonable Option; Litigating the Case in Probate Court
- Managing the Inventory; Administering the Estate Effectively
- Nearly Half of Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Trust & Estate Litigation Practice Wins in Court of Appeals
- Will Contests: To File or Not to File? That is the Question
- 2013 Real Property, Probate & Trust Midyear
- 10th Annual Trust & Estate Litigation Seminar
- The Importance of Filing Creditor's Claims for Real Estate Lenders and Homeowners' Associations in a Challenging Economy
- A TEDRA Litigator's Advice on How Best to Defend Against a Challenge to Documents You Draft
- 9th Annual WSBA Trust & Estate Litigation Seminar
- Who Receives the Proceeds of Life Insurance?