Estate Planning & Administration
The Stokes Lawrence Estate Planning & Administration group includes some of the most qualified attorneys you’ll find in this field. Yet it’s our educational approach that distinguishes us from other firms. We’re able to simplify complex concepts and patiently guide you through what can be both a technical and an emotional process.
Individuals and families trust us with their estate planning needs. We help develop core estate planning documents, such as a will, power of attorney and health directive. In addition, we can assist with integrating other issues into your overall estate plan, such as the sale of a business, charitable giving, lifetime gifting, prenuptial or postnuptial agreements, or long-term care.
We also assist individuals and professionals serving as personal representatives, executors and trustees with the probate process and the administration of various types of trusts. We help with the filing of court documents, gathering and valuing of assets, preparation of various tax returns, and compliance with fiduciary duties.
If disputes arise, our group works closely with our Trust & Estate Litigation practice to provide a range of trust and estate dispute resolution options.
What to Expect
We begin working with you by first getting acquainted. We ask basic questions to determine your specific needs and the best way for us to assist you. Whatever your needs may be, together we prioritize and develop a comprehensive plan tailored for your unique situation.
We also strive to give you options. We will match the appropriate vehicle or strategy to your objectives. For each planning technique or each step of an administration, we offer an explanation of benefits and drawbacks, educating you about the law and compliance requirements. We help you compare and contrast the options so you clearly understand the intended outcome.
Our Estate Planning & Administration group includes lawyers who are widely recognized as being among the best of their peers. Several of our lawyers are fellows of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. We are active in the Washington State Bar Association and have played a key role in the drafting and passage of trust and estate-related legislation in Washington state. We also are frequent authors and lecturers for other lawyers and professionals as well as various organizations. In addition, many in our group have taught as adjunct professors at both the University of Washington and Seattle University law schools.
- 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named as Washington Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Insight on Estate Planning - June/July 2018
- SLVMS Welcomes Saul Tilden
- Insight on Estate Planning - April/May 2018
- Time to Review Your Operating Agreements - New Partnership Audit Rules Enacted
- Lori Rath, Alison Warden Join the Estate Planning Group
- Insight on Estate Planning - February/March 2018
- Highlights of the New Tax Reform Law
- Insight on Estate Planning - Year-End 2017
- Ellen Jackson, Sarah Wixson Named Volunteer Attorneys of the Year
- Karolyn Hicks Named ACTEC Fellow
- Stokes Lawrence Named Best Law Firm for Sixth Consecutive Year
- Insight on Estate Planning - October/November 2017
- Washington's New Trust Decanting Law Expands Trustee's Power to Modify Irrevocable Trusts
- Insight on Estate Planning - June/July 2017
- Paralegal Mel Brown Receives Doug Peters Lifetime Achievement Award
- Katie Groblewski Named to American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Insight on Estate Planning - February/March 2017
- Washington's New Power of Attorney Act to Take Effect Jan. 1
- Insight on Estate Planning - Year End 2016
- Saving for College: GET or 529
- Insight on Estate Planning - October/November 2016
- 11 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers List
- Proposed Regulations Will Likely Limit Discount-Based Tax Planning
- Estate Planning in a Community Property State
- Insight on Estate Planning - August/September 2016
- Stokes Lawrence, Doug Lawrence, RoseMary Reed Recognized in Chambers High Net Worth Guide
- George Velikanje Featured in Washington Super Lawyers Magazine
- Life Insurance: Understanding a Key Part of Your Estate Plan
- Life Insurance: Understanding a Key Part of Your Estate Plan, Part 2—Universal, Variable and Survivorship Policies
- Life Insurance: Understanding a Key Part of Your Estate Plan, Part 3—Benefits of ILIT
- Super Lawyers Names 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys to Top Lists
- Insight on Estate Planning - June/July 2016
- Insight on Estate Planning - April/May 2016
- Managing Nonprobate Assets: Planning for Your Entire Estate
- Insight on Estate Planning - February/March 2016
- Could Your Estate Benefit From an "Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust"?
- For Second Year, Nearly Half of Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Insight on Estate Planning - October/November 2014
- IRS Extends Deadline for Certain Estates to Elect Portability: Could You Benefit?
- Insight on Estate Planning - April/May 2014
- Court of Appeals Sets Record Straight on Fiduciaries' Role and the Scope of TEDRA
- RoseMary Reed Elected to American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Using a Donor Advised Fund for Your Charitable Giving
- Insight on Estate Planning - June/July 2014
- Will Contests: To File or Not to File? That is the Question
- Washington Transfer Tax - A Different Set of Rules
- Insight on Estate Planning - February/March 2014
- Insights on Estate Planning
- Stokes Lawrence Named to 2014 Best Law Firms List
- Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Help Pass New Legislation to Update Washington's Trust Laws
- Insight on Estate Planning
- Stokes Lawrence Lawyers Recognized as 2014 Best Lawyers
- 16 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Stokes Lawrence Is Pleased to Welcome Jenna Ichikawa and Ellen Jackson
- Stokes Lawrence Wins Major Appeal for Washington Estates
- Insight on Estate Planning - Year In Review 2012
- Stokes Lawrence Recognized in U.S. News Best Law Firms and The Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers and Rising Stars at Stokes Lawrence
- Stokes Lawrence Recognized Among Top Ranked Law Firms
- 17 Stokes Lawrence Attorneys Named to 2018 Super Lawyers Lists